The Canal & River Trust is one of the UK’s largest charities, we maintain 2,200 miles of historic canals, rivers, docks and reservoirs, along with museums, archives and the country’s third largest collection of protected historic buildings – preserving them for future generations.
We currently have an excellent opportunity to join the Trust as a Craft Operative.
Promoting a safe and secure customer experience on the waterways. Delivering the general works programme in order to enhance the reputation of the network as a valued national asset and supporting Canal & River Trust’s aims to improve safety and increase the number of people using the waterways whilst protecting the heritage and integrity of the inland waterway network.
Using specific or a range of craft expertise to defined standards in order to contribute to the maintenance, conservation and improvement of the business unit’s waterway network for local communities and visitors to enjoy. Working efficiently, to well defined standards the role helps to create a safe, secure and vibrant waterway network where visitors are delighted with the quality of their experience.
· Comply with Canal & River Trust Health & Safety policy and defined standards; report incidents, accidents and near misses. Complete point of work risk assessments and make adjustments to work methods where appropriate. Ensure all equipment (PPE, plant, materials etc.) are appropriate for the task.
· Working outside, ensure that the customer experience is maximised by providing outstanding levels of customer service in accordance with defined standards and promote Canal & River Trust by maintaining a professional approach at all times.
· Provide a comprehensive service in relevant area(s) of craft expertise to the waterway teams to ensure that work undertaken on designated sites is completed to defined standards
· Assist in the planning of all specific craft related tasks in terms of equipment, materials and plant resources.
· Ensure that environmental and heritage issues are taken into consideration in all work that is undertaken
· Where a vacancy arises, participate where agreed in the standby rota in order to support delivery of customer service to defined standards and reaction to emergency situations.
· Using appropriate plant, undertake relevant activities to ensure that customers have a positive and pleasant experience whilst using the waterways. Ensure that all plant is maintained and operated in a safe and effective manner.
· Support asset inspections. Identify and report any structure failures, breaches, damage or pollution incidents to Operations Supervisor or Engineers.
In addition to your salary, we offer a highly competitive contributory DC Pension Scheme
We aim to represent the diverse communities we are part of and welcome applicants from across all sectors of the community. We strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what we do.
Find out more about the work we do and opportunities we have on our website: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us